So there’s a new korean restaurant in Petaling Jaya called “Gangnam Oppa”, in Uptown. I don’t usually enjoy kimchi stew that much but this place does the most AMAZING version of it! So, I had to try and make it myself!
So here is my recipe for how I imagine they made it.
1 pound kimchi, cut into bite size pieces
¼ cup kimchi brine
½ pound pork shoulder (or pork belly) (leave this out for vegetarian version)
½ package of hard tofu (optional), sliced into ½ inch thick bite size pieces
3 green onions
1 medium onion, sliced
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons honey (or sugar)
2 teaspoons gochugaru (Korean hot pepper flakes)
1 tablespoon gochujang (hot pepper paste)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 cups of stock (originally it is anchovy stock but I used chicken. You can also use beef or veg for vegetarian option)
1 packet of ramen (optional)
Ready? Ok, let’s go!
1. Get your rice cooker on! All good korean food comes with rice!
2. The first 3 ingredients in to the pot are the kimchi, onion and pork.
3. Next slice the green onions diagonally and add them in to the pot. Don’t stir!
4. Add the salt, honey, red pepper flakes and red pepper paste.
5. Pour in the sesame oil and stock. Don’t stir! Put the lid on and cook on medium for 10 minutes.
6. Take off the lid and mix everything up. Add the tofu on top and continue cooking till the meat is fully cooked.
7. As an extra (that I love) add a packet of ramen at the last minute. Yum! Serve it up with rice and enjoy!
And that’s it! How easy eh?!
To watch a video of me making this dish, follow the link here:
Have you made this dish before? How did it go? Any ways to improve this recepi? Please let me know!
잘 먹겠습니다! Bon appetite! 👅